Winter doesn't work well with my mental health. I had a rough time of things this year. But spring is here!
Things I Did
- I remade my blog layout again! My avatar and the rest of the style are styled after Final Fantasy (NES). I'm using Chevy Ray pixel fonts.
- I started using IntelliJ in earnest. Maybe that deserves a blog post of its own.
- I read some cool books:
- Day Z by Max Brooks - Zombie fiction isn't usually my bag, but this was good. I wouldn't say it was scary at all, more like a realistically cynical look at how our institutions would fail (and succeed) if facing a worldwide crisis, and that crisis just happens to be zombies. I quite enjoyed the read.
- Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer - I'm still working on the trilogy, but I can say the first book was great. This is the kind of horror that gets to me - existential horror, or situations where no one knows what's real and what isn't.
- The entire Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski - I'm sure I'm not the only one who binged through the books in preparation for the Witcher Netflix series. The first couple of books (short story collections) are awesome. The later ones kind of dragged on a bit for me, but I'm glad to have read them. The Netflix series would make zero sense without knowing the story already, imho.
- I've been on a roll with piano and guitar lessons. I feel like I've finally hit a good stride with guitar. Sadly, I've had to put violin lessons on an indefinite hold. Three instruments (plus other hobbies) is just too overwhelming, it turns out.
Things I Found
- I (re)found the joy of the Binding of Isaac game, after watching a speedrun at the last AGDQ. Almost have the 1000000% achievement! I think digging so deeply into a single game has taught me a few things about what works (and what doesn't) in game design. Speaking of which...
- I found a local gamedev group! Shocking. I had no idea there were a nonzero number of gamedevs in the tiny corner of Canada where I live, let alone enough of them to form a group. This has really inspired me to start thinking about gamedev again.
- ReacttotheK - Take classical musicians. Make them watch K-Pop music videos. This is way more entertaining than you probably think it'd be. Who knew K-Pop was so complex that a bunch of music nerds could stay interested? Picardy Thirds!
Things I'm Thinking About
- Hope I don't die of COVID-19! Hope no one I know dies! Nothing like a worldwide momento mori moment to put some things in perspective.
March 15, 2020